When did we become Lesbians?
The Lesbian Historic Motif Podcast – Episode 16d
This episode discusses the history of words for women who loved women throughout recorded European history. What words were used? Where did they come from? What shades of meaning did they have? And how did those meanings change over time?
In this episode we talk about the following words
- Greek: hetairistriai
- Greek and Latin: tribas, tribades
- Latin: lesbian
- English: sapphist
- Latin: fricatrix
- Words related to “sodomite” and “bugger”
- The tricky case of “hermaphrodite” and “virago”
- Slang terms like rubster, lollepot, and tommy
- Arabic: suhaqiyya, tharifa
The Lesbian Historic Motif Project lives at: http://alpennia.com/lhmp
Links to entries of the Lesbian Historic Motif Project that discuss these and related words can be found in the “Vocabulary Terms” section of this blog entry.
If you have questions or comments about the LHMP or these podcasts, send them to: firstname.lastname@example.org