Sheena and Tamara chat about the pros and cons of coming out in this episode of Les Talk About It.
Listen to this episode here
The process of coming out
- Coming out to yourself
- Coming out to your loved ones
- Coming out to people at work
- Coming out to the world at large
Pros To Coming Out
- It is less stressful
- It is easier to date
- It allows you to be okay with yourself
- It helps helps you feel less different
- It helps you see all your allies
- You can become an ally to someone else
- Allows you to connect with other lesbians
- Dispel myths about lesbians
- Makes you feel like part of a community.
Cons To Coming Out
- It can be dangerous
- You can lose your job
- You can find out that people who you thought were friends are actually bigots
What No One Tells You About Coming Out
Coming out is not a once off thing. You will forever be coming out.
Author Clare Lydon comes out
Author Kiki Archer comes out
The Pros And Cons Of Coming Out
Episode 60 of 70
Les Talk About It Series: Being Lesbian
In this long running series we look at busting myths, representation, groundbreaking info and representation that matters.
About The Hosts
Sheena comes from a media background and in 2014 she started The Lesbian Review, a website dedicated to reviewing the best lesbian books and movies. In 2016 A podcast channel seemed like a natural progression and so she started The Lesbian Talkshow.
Sheena discovered lesbian fiction in her late teens and it helped her with her coming out process, something for which she will always be grateful.
Tamara is a marketing professional and has branched out into design and photography. Her natural love for research and learning meant that she was the perfect podcast partner when Sheena wanted to start Les Talk About It. (Well, that and the fact that Tamara is married to Sheena.)