Join Sheena @Sheena_LE and her guests Rae @RaeDMagdon and Elena @ThurstonElena as they talk about the conflicting messages that come out of conversion therapy in this episode of Ask A Conversion Therapy Survivor
The Hypocrisy Of The Conversion Therapy Narrative: Ask A Conversion Therapy Survivor episode 3 of 5
In this episode
- The hypocrisy we experienced in conversion therapy – on one hand homosexuality is wrong and should be fixed, on the other hand it’s a hardship that God gave you to help you be a better person.
- Who the church expects to overcome all these hardships.
- The “support group” in the LDS church that hosts cuddle parties in an attempt to help gay men live a straight life and what really happens.
- Sexual attraction fairness
- The BYU honour code and their backpedaling on being homosexual
- How the dominoes fall when you start to question the beliefs of the church
- The concept of “hate the sin love the sinner” Elena and Rae talk about where they found groups they are part of that helps them
Listen to this episode titled The Hypocrisy Of The Conversion Therapy Narrative
About The Guests
Elena is an inspirational speaker and founder of the PRIDE and Joy Foundation. She grew up in a turbulent home, joined a conservative church as a teenager, put herself through college, married and birthed 4 beautiful children, and then…. Life 2.0 brought a divorce, leaving/getting kicked out of her church, a beautiful love story and a successful new career! Her viral TEDx talk has paved the way for speaking engagements around the country. Audiences have included ABC, CBS and Fox news stations, the First Event in Boston, the Seacoast Wellness Series in New Hampshire, the THRIVE conference in Utah, as well as multiple print and online media stories, and podcasts.
Find Elena Online
Rae D Magdon
Rae is an author of queer speculative fiction with over 10 published novels. She believes that lesbian, bi, queer, and trans women deserve to have adventures, fall in love, and become heroes. Her latest cyberpunk novel, Lucky 7, won the 2019 Goldie and Rainbow Awards for science fiction.
Find Rae Online