Diana and Callisto: The Sometimes Problematic Search for Representation
The Lesbian Historic Motif Podcast – Episode 21d
Ovid’s myth of Diana and Callisto had lasting popularity through the medieval and early modern periods and provided a context for some unexpected representation of erotic interactions between women. But hoo boy are there some problematic aspects to this topic!
In this episode we talk about
- The goddess Diana and her attributes
- The myths of Diana and Acteon, and of Diana and Callisto
- Virginity and chastity and what they have to do with lesbians
- Why the Callisto story has some major issues when considered through a transgender lens
- Female homoerotic art and the male gaze
- The goddess Diana as a symbol of women’s separatist lives in literature
The Lesbian Historic Motif Project lives at: http://alpennia.com/lhmp
This topic is discussed in one or more entries of the Lesbian Historic Motif Project here:
If you have questions or comments about the LHMP or these podcasts, send them to: email@example.com
A transcript of this podcast is available here.
If you enjoy this podcast and others at The Lesbian Talk Show, please consider supporting the show through Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/TheLesbianTalkShow